[Prev][Next][Index]

Zeolite from the Planet Muktar

  About Zeolite:  It is my understanding this material is a plastic ion
exchange resin commonly used in commercial water softeners.  It works by
exchanging positive ions; in a water softener it exchanges Calcium ions
for Sodium ions, "softening" the water.  Water softeners need rock salt
because a strong brine solution is used to recharge the unit.  Zeolite
works with positivly charged ions, which are mostly various metals like
Sodium and Potassium.  However, Nitrogen forms an Ammonium ion in an
acid environment and theoretically Zeolite could provide Nirtogen,
Potassium and Iron under the proper conditions.  I don't know how it
might be used as a substrate however; the material needs recharging and
this usually requires the introduction of highly concentrated salt
solutions which would be harmful to plants.

			Roger L. Sieloff