[Prev][Next][Index]

phosphate diffusion

> From: Stephen.Pushak at saudan_HAC.COM
>
> And a question for our aquatic plant academics, how do we
> determine the optimal nutrient ratios for plants? I suspect:
>
> 1) chemical analysis of plant composition

The following table is based on data from the Feb, 1988 "Today's
Aquarium, the International Magazine of the Optimum Aquarium",
("Aquarium Heute" in German), published by Aquadocumenta Verlag GmbH.

[Yes, it's the Dupla "mouthpiece"]

      Average nutrient content of plants and aquarium water

| Symbol  Nutrient        Plant     Water    Absorbed as    Concen|
|                         mg/kg      mg/l                   Factor|
| O       Oxygen         48,000    880,000   H2O             0.02 |
|   Abundantly available in the water                             |
| C       Carbon         36,000     Varies   CO2(HCO3-)      1000 |
|   Absent if no CO2 injection                                    |
| H       Hydrogen        6,000    110,000   H2O             0.02 |
|   Abundantly available in the water                             |
| K       Potassium       3,600          5   K+              1000 |
|   Sufficient with good feeding, otherwise fertilizing           |
| N       Nitrogen        3,200          5   NH4+/NO3-       1000 |
|   Too much nitrate with good fish feeding                       |
| S       Sulphur           660         15   SO4--             50 |
|   Source: fish food and mains water                             |
| Ca      Calcium           650         90   Ca++              10 |
|   Absent in soft water                                          |
| P       Phosphorus        460        0.1   HPO4--/H2PO4-   1000 |
|   Too many phosphates with good fish feeding                    |
| Mg      Magnesium         210         18   Mg++              10 |
|   Absent in soft water                                          |
| Fe      Iron               15          0   Fe++/Fe+++      1000 |
|   Absent under good light, unless fertilized                    |
| Other   Trace elements     10          0   Ions            1000 |
|   Sufficient with good feeding, otherwise fertilizer            |

Notes:  "mg/kg" and "mg/l" are roughly parts per million or "ppm"

"Concen Factor" is how much plants can store beyond their needs for
growth, i.e., plants can store 1000 times more iron than they need.

Bummer that all the "interesting" stuff is lumped under "Other" :-(

> 2) observations of natural habitat

There are a couple of tables in _The_Optimum_Aquarium_ that detail
this for a couple of different environments. I haven't seen Tropica's
published analysis of natural habitats yet.

> 3) by controlled experimentation

That's what we're here for.  Although "controlled" is up for grabs.

George in Now Ever So Slightly Greener Colorado