[Prev][Next][Index]

yeast cheap and pencilfish

>From: Kevin Conlin <kcconlin at cae_ca>
>Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 15:49:06 -0500
>Subject: Re: Poor Man's Plant Tank
>
>On Monday, 18 March 1996, KB Koh wrote:
>
>> No way. CO2 bottle system is one of the more expensive gadget for
>> planted tank and if "cheap" is what you want, go with Yeast. Why
>> skim on everything else and spend lavishly on CO2? I spend 10 cents
>> for yeast setup fortnightly = US$2.6 a year. That is a lot cheaper
>> than a year supply of CO2, and minus the overhead too.
>
>Don't forget the cost of the sugar, and the baking soda if you use it.

I did not forgot sugar, yeast and baking soda. Sugar cost ~US$0.50 for 1KG and I
can use it 6 times = 8.3 cents. Yeast cost ~US$1.30 a can and last for 3 years =
1.6 cents and baking soda ~ 44 cents a can and last for 1.5 year = 1.1 cents.
Total cost per concoction is US$0.11.

>I'm cheap AND lazy.  I spent a lot of time looking after the yeast;
>the outlet was constantly clogging with cyanobacteria, I damaged my
>tank stand when one of my bottles sprang a leak, and I was mixing up

Don't forget that the CO2 tank is a potential torpedo and bomb.

------------------------------------

>From: krandall at world_std.com (Karen A Randall)
>Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 22:03:55 -0500
>Subject: Newbie Questions, Pencilfish, Phosphate, Allergies

>Yes, I forgot about the non-agressive fish part, since I don't
>keep anything but!<g>  In one tank, they are in with a few of the
>tiny Gouramis, and some Rummy Nose Tetras.  In the other tank,
>they are accompanied by a large school of Cardinals, and a group
>of L. dorsigera.

Depending on which specie you are keeping. I have a pair of One-lined pencilfish
and they are agressive in getting food from timid Corycat. This specie do not
stay at the top but rather mid-water to bottom. The tube-mouth pencilfish always
stay at the top. I'm interested in getting more tube-mouth as my current pair is
having a pecking order. They are not available all year round over here.

rgds..kbkoh