[Prev][Next][Index]

Gravel size and mix

Just another newbie asking another newbie question.  It seems that on the
net, 1to 3 mm is the suggested gravel size for substrate.   Amano in "Nature
Aquarium World" suggests using a granule size of 3 to 10 mm.  He also says
that "substrates that contain several different types of sand will have a
longer lifetime, and arranging them in layers [larger granules on bottom,
smaller on top] improves permeability". He uses Fuji sand (of volcanic
origin) in the lower portion of his substrate to "prevent lumping and
hardening, and to improve permeability".  So, my understanding (limited) of
this, is that he uses different sand types to prevent compaction (makes
sense), but I'm not sure what he means by "improved permeability".  Is there
really a huge advantage to setting up a substrate in layers of different
granule size, and mixing different sand types?  If so, how about breaking up
a lava rock into gravel-sized pieces and mixing this into the substrate to
serve as a substitute for Fuji sand................or should I be spending
my time doing more important things? Any thoughts?

Eva