[Prev][Next][Index]

Iron Storage in Plant Tissues

>I have found that if I can measure _any_ iron in the water, I seem
>to have enough.  Remember that iron is one of the substances
>plants can store.  So your plants will suck all of it out of the
>water until the fill their reserves.

         Iron in plants can be stored  because it is locked by chemical
bonds in complex molecules such as cytochromes (pigments) and enzymes. Iron
deficiencies (pale and fragile growth) are observed in new growth areas
because it is not translocable to the developing tissues. What this boils
down to, is that the availability of Iron has to be constant to support
adequate growth and is the actual concentration (not what was added last
week) what is going to determine the proper maturation of the tissues
developing at that particular moment.
        I hope that after lurking for a few months I can make a useful
contribution (my first!) at a time when we need to support this list the
most to keep it going.

ANOTHER BEACH DAY IN MIAMI...ORANGE BLOSSOMS AND BLUE SKIES...