[Prev][Next][Index]

Pat's algae

Pat Bowerman told of her increasing tinkering with aquarium plants until the
plants were very happy and then - ALGAE!!!  Hey, been there, done that.  I
did exactly the same thing, going from plastics to full blown planted tank.
 Then that A-word <shudder>.  The algae she described hit my swords, too.
 The way I fixed it was to purchase 2 freshwater shrimp (Singapore also call
Wood) to cut down on the spores and stuffs floating in the water and one ram
snail.  The water became crystal clear within a few days and after 2 weeks,
the snail has the algae under control.  I also turned off the lights for 2
days before doing the critter bit.  I still have high phosphate, but have
added Flourish tabs to the gravel and Kent plant fert. to the water.  The
plants are growing and the algae is under control.  Also, I moved the
aquarium close to a window so the increase in light is helping the plants
out compete the algae.  It's rough balancing all the plants requirements,
because an excess of any one thing gets that A-word in your vocabulary
going!
Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil