[Prev][Next][Index]

APD/newsgroup

 Subject: rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

> - -sigh-
>
> recursive mailing lists; formatting problems; a growing membersh
>
> I know we've all grown to really appreciate this APD list and it
> become really important to some of us and we sure don't want to
> anyone... but....
>
> ok please bear with me and let me ask some questions that need t
> asked:
>
> will you be reading the aquatic plant NewsGroup?

Not as often as I've paticipated in APD... It's just too
irritating.

> do you figure you'll have the time to read both the newsgroup
> and the list?

Probably not.

> would you promise to update the newsgroup with the valuable
> contributions that you make here on the APD for those who
> might feel they cannot afford the time to read both?

Absolutely not.  I _hate_ reading cross posted messages, and won't
inflict them on others.

> do you plan to post questions to both the newsgroup and to
> the APD list just so you can be sure to reach the people who ar
> going to be exclusive to one or the other?

I won't, I sure hope others won't.  There is no real need for
this.  It's easy enough to post one place or the other.  If you
don't get a response from one, you can always try the other
another time.

> could you get by if we only had the newsgroup?

Get by?  I can't imagine that any of our lives depend on this.  I
got by before APD, and I will after.  I didn't participate in rec.
aquaria before APD.  If APD goes away, I will probably visit the
plants group as often as I can, but quite honestly, my response to
nastiness (not just toward me, I'm speaking of the general tone of
things) is to take my ball and go home.

> would only having the newsgroup actually be kind of nice for you

Nope.

> would you change your mind if the APD continues to double in
> volume at the current rate?

I don't know.  I _do_ know that we need to teach people how to
post without including the whole last issue of APD!<g>

You raise some good points, Steve, I don't know what all the
answers are.  I think for now, what I'd like to see is for both to
continue.  It looks like the newsgroup is going to have a good
following.  Maybe the APD can settle out into a place where the
more experienced people can discuss matters in more detail.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA