[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #306

I have been lurking for awhile but am experienced with a lushly planted tank
without undergravel heating. I am glad to see someone else state that it is
not necessary. I have Dupla CO2 and metal halide/flourescent lighting and
use RO water and Duplagan drops daily (or whenever I remember). I do not
have any unhealthy plants, from swords, to crypts, to aponog., etc... My
only problem is pruning the fast growth. BTW I really enjoy reading the
digest and am impressed with its contents. Also, I was unsure how to post in
the right place (I intended to follow/reply to the comment by Neil Frank. If
I did it wrong, would someone please e-mail me to set me straight? Thanks in
advance!

Robin, using husbands address: sryan at skypoint_com

> [...]
>
>Until that point, I have made a conscious decision to stick to
>plants (and fish) that don't mind my water conditions.  My tanks
>are too spread out, and in the living areas of the house to make
>pretreating large quantities of water anything less than a major
>task.  There are more species of plant that _will_ grow in my
>tanks than I can fit, so I've decided it's silly to turn myself
>inside out for the ones that don't do well.
>
>And copper isn't _all_ bad... I have _never_ had a case of ich in
>any tank since we moved to this house, snails die on contact with
>my water, and red algae wouldn't even _consider_ moving in.<G>
>
>Karen Randall
>Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
>Boston, MA
>
>------------------------------
>
>From: Len Trigg <trigg at jane_cs.waikato.ac.nz>
>Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 12:30:14 +0000 (+1200)
>Subject: Re: Urghhh
>
>> From: Len Trigg <trigg at jane_cs.waikato.ac.nz>
>> Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 08:50:52 +0000 (+1200)
>> Subject: Re: Cultivation of Glossostigma
>
>> - --=20
>>  Len Trigg =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>>  Comp Sci Grad   DoD#1334   trigg at cs_waikato.ac.nz            =20
>>  Waikato Uni     GPX250     http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~trigg         =20=
>
>Excuse the ugly quoted-printable encoding - I thought the list server
>would
>be able to handle it - at least the main part of the message was
>readable :-)
>
>ObPlants: I have a cryptocoryne (probably siamensis?) which is just
>beginning
>to flower, even though it's completely submerged. (I haven't had
>crypts flowering before, so it's another first for me)
>
>Cheers,
>    Len.
>- --
> Len Trigg ===================================================
> Comp Sci Grad   DoD#1334   trigg at cs_waikato.ac.nz
> Waikato Uni     GPX250     http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~trigg
> Finger trigg at jane_cs.waikato.ac.nz for PGP Public key
>

>------------------------------
>
>From: Pat Bowerman <bowerman at rog_ar.ispnet.com>
>Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 19:17:02 -0800
>Subject: CO2+HOT

>What concerns me is that it is rated at 250 gal/hr (though I think
>that is through empty box) and I might end up with too much water
>movement. I also have in mind using the Bio-Wheel adaptor (a tee) to
>split the outflow in two, one just above the bottom and the other one
>at the opposite end of the tank just below the surface, both slightly
>angled towards the front. Also, does anybody have any experience
>injecting CO2 in a HOT Magnum ? I'm concerned about the vapor lock
>possibility, like in the Fluvals.<<<<<
>
>I have an HOT Magnum on a 20 long, and I have a DIY CO2 injected into the
intake. My setup sounds very similar to what you are contemplating. I have
had this up and running for about 4 weeks without any problems. The Magnum
does generate quite a water flow, but I don't think this has hurt anything,
and may even be beneficial. As for any vapor-lock problems, they don't
exist. Occasionally you can hear the bubbling of the CO2 into the filter,
but it is hardly noticeable.