[Prev][Next][Index]

Good Results with PMDD's

I have been lurking for several weeks.  I believe I have learned
more about keeping aquatic plants from this group than the books I
have read and advice from local aquarium shops.

I want to especially thank Kevin Conlin for his ideas and formula
for "Poor Man's Dupla Drops."

Background:

	110 gallon
	RO water with "RO Right" and sodium bicarbonate added to
	achieve a GH=2 and KH=2.
	ph=6.8
	CO2 added (Sandpoint system manually controlled)
	1-3mm substrate with laterite added
	2-110 watt VHO "AQUASUN" bulbs
	Plant species: E. quad., E. bleheri, E. tennellus, E.
	horemanii, barclaya longifolia, H. polysperma "Tropic
	Sunset", Bacopa ?, myriophyllum spicatum?, ambulia, several
	varities of crypts and A. 	Ulvaces.
	Fish: rainbow fish, tetras, gouramis, o. cats, SAE's, and
	several catfish.
	Fertilizing with DUPLA Drops and tablets (now using PMDD's)

In general until a few weeks ago I had generally poor results
getting the plants to grow well but had a bumper crop of red brush
algae.  After reading postings in this group, I concluded I had a
nutrient deficiency, which surprised me since I thought DUPLA was
top of the line. After reading Kevin's posting on PMDD's, I thought
I would give them a try.

I located a source of micronutrient fertilizer in the Houston, TX
area, but it had to be special ordered through a local hardware
store.  The composition was different than the one used by Kevin
so, I had to adjust the formula some. (If you are interested in
obtaining some, e-mail me a request and I'll give you names to
contact.)

The results are incredible!!

Growth of all plants has dramatically increased.  Also, the
barclaya longifolia has bloomed and the A. Ulvaces has sent out an
infloresence.  There is a notable point on the stems of the bacopa
? where addition of the PMDD started.  The leaves from this point
are 1.5 to 2x as large as the previous growth.

As an added benefit growth of the red brush algae has diminished or
stopped.  Previously it had covered and caused damage to all the
swords and especially to the bacopa.  The SAE's also had a hand in
this.

Again, thanks to the group and especially to Kevin.

Doug Skokna in beautiful (65 f) clear Houston, TX.