[Prev][Next][Index]

RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #319

Franc Gorenc wrote re Fontinalis antipyretica -

A related ( or perhaps the same species) occurs here in Australia but is only found in cool running mountain streams growing on the streamside rocks and stumps and into the water . It seems to need low temeratures (probably below 20C) , moving water, a stable but only slowly eroding substrate, low to moderate intensity light, and patience.

I have never been able to maintain it at home for longer than 4-6 months - probably ,in retrospect, due to the onset of summer. I recall from my reading somewhere that the specific name "antipyretica" comes from the mediaeval practice of using it as stuffing in the walls of fireplaces as insulation ?

Bruce Hansen