[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #315

>From: Zeb Swinney <zeb at capital_net>
>Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 03:23:55 GMT
>Subject: Roots growing from stem and other questions
>
>I finally got my 75G set up a month ago.  I stuffed it(about 40% of total
>volume) with a lot of fast growing plants(plus a couple of slower ones) to
>keep algae in check.  In the future I plan on trimming everything back and
>adding some lower light plants and more variety.
>
>The problem is that my hygro polysperma, hydrocotyle leucopetala, bacopa
>carolinia, nomaphila sticta, and alternatheria rosaefolia have all developed
>what look like tiny white roots growing out of the stems and I don't like
>it. Do I have any options short of cutting off all these tiny roots by hand
>which is really not possible.  What is causing this? Other than this
>unsightly problem the plants listed above are growing like crazy.

The roots coming from the stems are normal in your Hygrophila, Hydrocotyle,
Nomaphilia, Bacopa and Alternanthera. Actually, they are a sign that growth
conditions are good for these plants.They don't look so bad when you get
used to them.

....<Tank specs snipped>......

>Random questions:
>
>Why is my lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae not rapidly spreading all over my
>substratta and making a beutiful carpet?  They have not died but they don't
>look very healthy and they have not put out any runners.  They are planted
>in a spot that gets direct light.  I mail ordered them from Natural Aquarium
>and they appeared healthy when I got them.

Liliaeopsis is sometimes a little slow to get started. It needs lots of
light, also.  Six 40 watt bulbs ought to be enough if they aren't being
shaded out by the rampaging Hygrophila, etc.  Be patient.

>Are the "micro swords" I got from a local fish store really a larger variety
>of the above mentioned lillaeopsis?  They are very similar looking and are
>having the same problems.  The only visual difference is size.  The fish
>store ones are about 5" tall and the NA ones are 2" tall.

No.  The micro swords are definitely in a different genus than Liliaposis.
The former is a monocot, and the latter is a dicot.  They do like a little
mud to get their roots into.  How far below the surface of the gravel is
the laterite?

>I got an Alternatheria "isabella" from NA and this plant has done absolutly
>nothing.  I guess I should have known better than order a plant that isn't
>listed in any of my books.  This plant is also receiving direct light.  Any
>Suggestions?  BTW the alternatheria rosaefolia I got at a local store is
>doing very well.

Sorry, I don't know this plant.

>Java fern from NA has not attached itself to the rocks I rubbr banded it to.
>It has been in the tank for a month and hasn't grown and looks kind of
>unhealthy.  How long does it take for these plants to stick?

Java fern is always a slow plant.  I don't think that it attaches to rocks
very well, but it never has been healthy for me unless it is growing roots
that have visible root hairs on them.  I have had good growth when it has
its roots in the gravel and the rhizome at the surface.

>Hygro poly which was green when I got it has turned into a pale red.  This
>plant is growing like CRAZY!  Is the reddish color due to strong light?

The reddish or brownish color is a response to good light and good growing
conditions.  Hygrophila can grow more than an inch a day.  You need to
prune it severely and frequently to keep it from taking over.

>I got an echinodorus "rubra" from NA.  The plant is doing well.  Does anyone
>know if this is the proper name?  It has entire shaped leaves that are
>reddish green with light green  veins. A very nice plant but I don't know
>how tall or wide it will get so I'm not sure where to plant it.

This is likely E. osiris.  The new leaves should be reddish, but turn a
somewhat translucent green after they have reached full size.  Put it in
the middle.  It can get big enough to dominate a 75 gallon.

>I got a "brazilian sword" from the local store a few days ago.  It has 3"
>long leaves that are egg shapped but flair down to a point at the tip.  The
>stems are about 6" long and the plant is dark green.  the roots were huge
>and obviusly emerse grown, they had clumps of potiing soil stuck to them.
>Any suggestions?

That is a hard one to guess.  Many of the swords are from Brazil.  It might
be E. grisebachii or E. opacus.

....<rest on growth snipped>.....