[Prev][Next][Index]

Ammonia, APD and Medications

Subject: Re: ammonia (NH3) vs. ammonium (NH4+)

Neil Frank wrote a long post on ammonia levels in the aquarium.

Thanks for the information.. I've clipped it and added it to my
"permanent" file :-)

------------------------------

Subject: Now that we have a rec...plants, what with the list?

> I for one am very much looking forward to replying to individual
> But what about this wonderful list?  Do most folks have newsnet
> Perhaps forwarding newsnet postings to the list for awhile would
> appropriate.
>
> Or has this already been decided and I'm just clueless!?

I for one would like to see the list continue if at all possible.
 I've found this format to be very interesting.  OTOH, Irealize
how much work Shaji has put into it, and will understand if he
feels taht he can't keep it up.  I will make an effort to check in
on rec.aquaria.plants pretty regularly too.

One of the biggest reasons I'd like to see the list continue is
that because every one tries to be civil and polite, I think it
encourages people to express their sometimes very disparate
opinions with out fear of being trashed by someone who doesn't
agree.  I hope we don't see people holding back on new ideas when
we are completely out in the public view.

I've seen how some other news groups have become dominated by one
particlar view point, not necessarily because it's "right" or even
the most widely held, but simply because it is the opinion of a
couple of extremely vocal, usually unpleasant personalities.  I'd
hate to see that happen to us.

 ------------------------------

 Subject: The effects of medications on plants?  (Furacyn)

You also wrote in APD VI #310:

> Anyway, anyone have any ideas what happened?  The Furacyn does
> NOT mention that it's bad for plants.  Has anyone had this >
happen to them?  I thought there might be a possibility that >
since it's a low-tech tank that's been running for 3 years, that >
it might have just been no longer able to sustain itself.  But I >
suspect that if that had been the case, the deterioration would >
have been more gradual, not over the course of a week.

Back in the days when I would still treat fish in a planted tank,
I also had a bad experience with nitrofurazone.  I _can_ tell you
that although my extensive stand of Java Fern lost almost all its
leaves, it _did_ eventually recover.  Other plants weren't so
luck, but I can't remember which ones any more.

Now I quarantine all new fish. A current resident has two choices.
 He can let himself get caught, or take his chances.  I no longer
put medications in my planted tanks _ever_.

As far as it being a low tech tank is concerned, I am sure this
isn't the problem.  First, I've had low tech tanks set up and
growing well for much longer than that. Second, even if it were
getting to the end of its life, you'd see reduced growth, some
plants failing fast than others, and slow detrioration of
conditions.  Everything wouldn't "just die" all togther.

I suppose it's not so surprising that an organism that is as good
at extracting small amounts of nutrition from it's surroundings as
aquatic plants would be susceptible to taking up substances that
were bad for it just as well :-(

As an aside, Rainbowfish, particularly if you are talking about
Melanotaenia, Glossolepsis or Chilatherina sp. are pretty big
fish.  IMO, 12 in a 38 gallon tank is pushing it.  For that
matter, most of these fish, even in smaller numbers, do best in a
tank at least 4' long.  You might have avoided the disease
problems if they'd been in a bigger tank.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA