[Prev][Next][Index]

substrate heating

I think the answer to te questio is probably going to be E.  all of the
above.  I think that the main reason that substrate heating does any good at
all is that it stimulates bacterial growth in the substrate.  Under natural
conditions you would have a cycling of the microbiological "flora" within
the mud, some populations grow and some crash.  I think that the substrate
heating may favor some of the bacteria that are needed in the tank.  If you
don't heat you will have the same results.  But if you heat, and then the
heating goes out, then you may experience a population crash or at least a
change in the eclogy of the substrate.  Micriobiological ecology is a very
new field in trying to explain what is going on in the wild...if anyone else
has any comments on this please feel free.

I am not biased...I am a microbiologist-John Davis in now freezing Texas