[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: surface extractor

>From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
>Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 12:16:14 -0700
>Subject: Re: surface extractor

[ snip]

>I also agitated the surface for awhile -- it made no difference. So what is
>this stuff? I've been told it's "a protein layer" and "iron eating
>bacteria". So which is it? Why is it there? and does one have to get a
>protein skimmer to remove it?
>
>Olga

My experience is with two of my tanks. One has WDF 3000 that blows
water ACROSS (horizontal flow) the surface and the other has powerhead
driven sponge filter that does not agitate the surface at all. The tank with
surface agitation has less surface film. Both tanks have salvinia and riccia.
When I got lazy topping up my water so that the WDF 3000 output goes
straight down, I also noticed more surface film build up.

Hardjono