[Prev][Next][Index]

Chelated Iron

From:	NAME: DIONIGI MALADORNO
	FUNC: PRCI
	TEL: 201-812-3495 <MALADORD@A1@RNISD0>
To:	NAME: AQUATIC PLANTS <"Aquatic-Plants at ActWin_com"@INET@MRGATE@RNISD0>,
	"peterh at pican_pi.csiro.au"@INET@MRGATE@RNISD0

>From: "Peter Hughes (X)" <peterh at pican_pi.csiro.au>
>ate: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 11:58:38 +1100 (EST)
>Subject: "Ammania"

> SNIP - SNIP
> The substrate is high iron podsolic soil
>covered with gravel, fertilising is with a mixture of iron chelate that I
>mix at work (no use having access to the worlds best chemistry set and not
>using it), iron levels are consistently about the  .2ppm level. The other
>plants in are doing well, particularly the green tiger lotus.

>Thanks in advance

>Peter Hughes

Since you have experience in the area, would you explain how difficult is
for a hobbist to prepare a chelated iron solution? I know close to nothing
in chemistry, but I have a 1993 catalog ( Sigma chemical company) where a 2%
solution of EDTA disodium salt is available (12 US dollars for 12 ml). I
always wondered if mixing it in some way (without risk of explosions, major
toxic waste spills or mass poisonings) with micronized iron would give a
cheap chelated iron solution.
Is this feasible with the world's worst chemistry set (mine)?

Dionigi