[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #283

>>Scott Corbeil asked about the heat of Metal Halide lights.
>1) the heat thrown by X watts of MH light is the same as the heat
>from X watts of FL lights. But you can easily have more watts of MH :)<
>
>Pete Datcuk replied,
>
><<I would have to disagree with that statement.  I have never seen someone
>get
>burned on a flourecent tube or an electronic ballast, but I assume that they
>don't put fans on those MH enclosures for nothing!
>    Just my two bits.>>
>
>Don't confuse temperature with heat output.
>
>Except the energy that is utilized by photysynthesis or goes out the window
>as light, all the watts in are turned into heat.
>
>The question is, what is the effiency of MH vs FL, how much light out per
>watt in do you get?
>
>Paul

   OK I goofed.  Of course a given amount of heat will feel hotter if its
produced in a smaller area.  Sorry about that.  But let me run this by
eveyone.
    If we assume that all of the wattage of electricity is converted to some
form of radiation by the light bulb, the bulb that puts out more light will
put out less heat and vice versa. This is neglecting ultraviolet and higher
wavelengths.  I don't know the effiencies of MH and flourecents offhand, but
its stuck in my mine that MH are less efficent.  If they are then they should
produce more heat.  If I'm wrong, then they should produce less heat.
    Anyone care to correct me this time ;)?

Pete Datcuk