[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Plants are melting

What you describe sounds like something I ran across many years ago when
I was studying for my masters degree. I was growing a local pondweed
(Potamogeton pectinatus) in the lab and looking at the effect of removing
varioius nutrients on growth. When I removed Calcium, the plants
'melted' like this very quickly! However, when I removed all other
divalent cations including Ca, this did not occur. My conclusion was that
Ca 'protects' the plant from the harmful effects of other divalent
cations. Your chemistry seems rather strange (low kh, very high gh) so
perhaps its some sort of imbalance between Ca and other cations. Just a
thought.

Dr. dave