[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: CO2 injection w/ powerhead

>From: Paul Bucciaglia <paul-b at biosci_cbs.umn.edu>
>Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 16:25:40 -0600 (CST)
>Subject: Re:  CO2 injection w/ powerhead
>
>I'm not convinced this is a very effective way to inject CO2.  I
>connected a 2L yeast CO2 reactor to a powehead--the tube from the yeast
>reactor fed the powerhead from below; the impellor was very effective at
>crushing the bubbles but they don't stay in contact with the water very
>long.  Almost immediately, they float to the surface.  As someone here
>mentioned, feeding CO2 to the impellor of a Penguin or Whisper
>powerfilter has the same problem.  The bubbles are not held in contact
>with the water long enough.  Aquaclear powerfilters are better for this
>purpose because the bubbles are trapped by the sponge, which more

To increase the length of contact between the CO2 bubble and the water,
you need to redirect the powerhead output to the bottom of your tank.
Use the tubing for connecting canister filter and the outlet adapter
(included with Aquaclear and Penguin powerhead) to direct the output
to any place you want in the tank. In addition, use the lowest output
setting of your powerhead. I could drop my tank pH from 8.0 to 6.6 with
carbonate hardness of 4 dH using one 2-L bottle DIY yeast CO2 generator
on 20 gal tank.

Hardjono