[Prev][Next][Index]

All kinds of stuff

Subject: Before I buy ...

> I'm ready to get some plants for my /fish/ tank but I wanted a r
> check from all of you nice people ... :)
>
> The tank is a 55 gallon with between 2.5 and 3 inches of typical
> gravel.  The bottom inch has roughly 1 Kg of laterite (from Lagu
> in.  It is lit by two 40 watt fluourescents, and I am considerin
> more lighting.
>
> I am considering the following plant species; please let me know
> have erred in judgement.

Good thing you checked first.  Otherwise you would have wasted
lots of money.<g>

> Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae -

needs lots of light to fill in well, although it will "hang on"
with less light

> Ophiopigon japonica pussilus	dwarf mondo grass
> Ophiopigon japonica		mondo grass

Doesn't survive long term submerged

> Anubias nana	-

Great Choice

> Hygrophila difformis	-

Another good choice.  If your light is sufficient it will grow
fast.

> Spatyphyllum wallisii
> Syngonium a. variegatum

Both are non-aquatics.

> Other than the carpeting species, I don't want anything to take
> tank. I've selected these particular species because they are al
> available from the same vendor.  I will consider any suggestions
> to improve this plan, other than:
> * more light (I think I will do this eventually but I don't want
> * radical substrate change
> * substrate heating
> * CO2

Well basically, your willing to consider anything but the things
that are likely to improve your set up ;-)

Seriously, You should do fine as long as you choose plants wisely.
 But you are making a mistake avoiding fast growing plants.  Those
are the ones that improve the environment for both your plants
_and_ your fish, as well as providing spawning and hiding places
for your fish.  It's _your_ job to make sure they don't take over.

You haven't given us any water values, so it's impossible to say
for sure, but assuming reasonable pH/KH, fairly low levels of
nitrate and phosphate, and no plant eating fish, here are some
plants that will work better.  You can expand slowly from this
"starter" list, and see what other things work well in your water.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris sp.)
Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)
Java Moss (Vesicularia dubyana)
Hygrophila sp.
Rotala rotundifolia
Aponogeton sp.
Anubias sp.

This selection gives you enough variety to set up a very beautiful
tank, even if you never go beyond this list, and you are much more
likely to succeed.  Remember, the heavir you plant from day one,
the better your out come will be.
Valisneria sp.
Echinodorus sp.

------------------------------

Subject: PH and Fertilzers

> I have been using a fertilizer (FloraPride) with every water
> change and I noticed my PH seems to rise after the water change.
> Could the cause of this be the fertilizer? My tap water PH is
> lower than the PH reading I'm getting from the tank so it can't
> be the water I'm adding.

Are your testing the tap water directly for the tap or after
allowing it to degas for 24 hours?  My tap water has a pH of abot
6 when it is first drawn, and bounces up to about 8.5 after
degassing.  This is not that uncommon.  I have not heard that
Florapride will raise pH.

> Also will the use of sodium biphosphate to lower my PH cause an
> increase in the algae growth?

Generally, at the light levels used in a planted tank, phosphate
based buffers _will_ cause algae problems.

------------------------------
 Subject: CO2 injection/reactor

> I'm still planning my next tank.  Given my budget, I have to str
> the planning process.
>
> I will undoubtedly continue the DIY yeast CO2 with the next tank
> afford more at the moment, and besides, what's the big deal abou
> sugar, water, baking soda, and yeast every so often?  AND I have
> my home capable of becoming a ICBM.
>
> I'm thinking about going with a 70 or 75 gal (suggestions welcom
> filtered with a Magnum 350 with biowheel.  Since I won't have a
> anymore, I won't be able to hook my CO2 up to the air intake of
> powerhead.  My question:  if I go with bubblestones below the in
> Magnum, won't all the CO2 evaporate on the biowheel, with its la
> area?  My dilemma:  I have no problem with putting together a re
> (if I can find the plans back), but I really would rather avoid
> big and ugly in my tank.

Why do you feel the need to use the biowheel on the tank?  Skip
that and you've solved your problems.

> P.S.   If anyone has any thoughts about the Magnum 350+biowheel
> of its adequacy for the bioload of a 70 or 75 gallon tank, I wou
> appreciate hearing from you.  I was taught that one filter/filtr
> method was never enough, so the prospect of only having this see
> weird!

I have been running my 70G planted tank on a 250 Magnum for
_years_ (about 7 now) with a 350 Magnum as the sole form of
filtration.  The filtration needs on a correctly executed planted
tank are minimal.  I've had the filter off line for as long as 2
weeks with _no_ adverse effects.  Actually, the filter itself is a
redundant system if the tank is set up right!

I _do_ have two extra power heads in my 70G.  The CO2 reactor is