[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #220

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996 Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com wrote:

> A tragedy...
>
> My roomate had an urge to help me out this weekend by topping off my tanks

> water he put in a couple gallons of 50X African Violet fertilizer in each

	Sort of reminds me of al old Monty Python skit, "feeding your goldfish"
One of the cast takes a big plate of food and dumps it directly into the
tank.  I believe they got quite a lot of flack from the local fish clubs
, but then again the cast and crew were a bit twisted...

	At any rate, I suggest a 50% water change as soon as possible.
You can probably get away with water straight from the tap, since all the
fish have died.  If you use a power filter, the nitrogen fixing bacteria
ought to clean up the excess nitrate in a couple weeks, but the residual
phosphate is going to cause quite an algal bloom.  Things will eventually
balance themselves out again.  In a few weeks, try re-introducing
something like guppies into the tank.  If they survive a week, you can
then try Angles or Discus.  One other thing you might want to try is a
100% roommate change....

				Roger L. Sieloff