[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: FROG and DIY CO2 Problems

>From: gomberg at wcf_com (Dave Gomberg)

>I talked to the FROG people and even got a data sheet.  The FROG is NOT A
>PRESSURE REGULATOR, it is a FLOW REGULATOR (that is what the FR stands for).
>It is good in an application where it is the only component (other than the
>tank shutoff valve) and is used to deliver its rated value (8CFH as I recall).
>It is not good where a regulator is needed because if you put something after
>it intended to further reduce the flow, the pressure will just build up.
>Basically, a FROG is a pinhole, which thereby reduces the flow.  If you need a
>regulator, you need a regulator, not a FROG.   Dave
>
>Dave Gomberg, Experimenta      San Francisco CA USA   gomberg at wcf_com

It simply seems to me that the pressure and flow are highly correlated. The
package that the FROG came with states it is preset at 22SCFH. Hence, the
regulator will try to keep the flow constant.  Even if my needle valve
causes back pressure, it would build up and increase the bubble rate from
what it was previously set at.

Anyhow, what I am trying to say at this late hour is that the FROG _should_
work for this application.  I think George hit the nail on the head with the
temperature sensitivity of the particular valve I have.
Hell, maybe it is a combination of both the regulator not being a regulator,
and the temperature.(I think I need sleep)

When I looked into it further, by fiance' informed me that the heat in her
house died the same night a front came in.  Soooo....that could very well be
why the bubble rate is fluctuating so much.  I will keep the list posted as
I believe this setup is by far one of the most economical manual setups.

Tyson Lee