[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #201

Steve

I also had the pleasure of living in Vancouver. I still pine for the
fiords (though Im not as stiff as the parrot yet... for all those Monty
Python fans). At any rate, you mentioned allelopathy. I have read that
Cabomba does not tolerate other species of aquatic plants ... I do know
that aquatic plants can secrete 20% or more of their gross photosynthetic
output into the water and perhaps this is a problem for Cabomba when
exposed to other species.However, I have not read any research papers on
this topic so cannot give you any 'hard' evidence. You also mentioned
stem rot. Aquatic plants can root quite happily in an anaerobic sediment,
but need vigorous Ps in order to supply O2 to the roots ... perhaps this
is a factor. Have you read Scheurmanns description of Cabomba ... he
advocates a 'clean bottom' whatever that means.