[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Trace Elements

> From: Roger Sieloff ISDH <sieloff at ideanet_doe.state.in.us>
> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 23:47:23 -0600 (EST)
> Subject: Chemistry 101
>
>[stuff deleted]
>     Hi, Roger here. Besides being a Hoosier, I'm also a Chemist, or
> at least that's what the degree states.  Here is what I make of the
> hieroglyphics above:
>
> Chelated trace elements (7%Fe):  "Miracle Grow" without the Nitrogen,
> Phosphorus and Potassium.  "Trace elements" include Iron (Fe), Boron,
> Copper, Zinc and Magnesium for the most part.  "Chelated" means there's
                   ^^^^^^^^^
That should be Manganese--it is what makes those oxygen bubbles
people have been looking for.  Magnesium is not a trace element.
Trace element solution should also have molybdenum--it allows the
plant to utilize nitrate ions.

> MgSO4.7H2O: Fully hydrated Magnesium Sulfate.  Epsom salts.  If you
> can't get Epsom salts over the counter in a drugstore anymore, then
> America really HAS gone to hell in a handbasket!  If and when you dig
> some up, check the ingredients list, the stuff ought to be pure Epsom
> salt without any bath oils or perfumes.

Epsom salt is still available, I add it in small quantities to my rather
soft tap water when doing water changes.

>         Hope this was a sollution,
>
>             Roger L. Sieloff

Thanks for the lessons in chemistry.
--
Curtis Hoganson
Dept. of Chemistry, Michigan State University