[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #175

> Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 07:11:56 -0800
> Subject: Dual Light Strip Lights
>
>   I have a standard 20gal/high tank that came with the standard 1 bulb
> hood.  Since this is not enough light to grow most plants, I wanted to
> know if anyone has had any experience with the Perfecto Dual Light
> Strips.  Do these provide enough light for growing plants?  Are there
> any other options for those of us who are not handy with DIY projects?
>
> Barbara Burbank

Barbara,
Last year I bought two of the dual Perfecto Light strips an replaced the
standard low quality bulbs with a PowerGlo bulb (for color) and a FloroGlo bulb
(for the plants).  After a few weeks the plastic between the bulbs and the
starters began to melt.  I talked with my aquarium store dealer and he said to
bring the strip back and he would replace it with a single strip since he has
had alot of complaints about the dual strip melting in the same manner, even if
used with the bulbs that came with the strip.  I would suggest buying two
single strip lights and a glass top for your tank, instead of buying the dual
light strip. Live and learn,

> From: krombhol at felix_TECLink.Net (Paul Krombholz)
> Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 09:35:00 -0600
> Subject: Re: Mangrove seedlings and growing algae
> Try to get hold of the issue of Fish magazine previous to the one currently
> selling.  It had an article about growing mangrove seedlings in
> paludariums.  The author said that mangroves grew perfectly well in fresh
> water.  He also gave his address and phone number and offered to send
> mangrove seedlings to anyone interested.  I can't be more specific because
> I browsed through the article without buying the magazine.

The article is entitled "Magnificent Mangroves" written by Julian Sprung (who
else?) and can be found in the December 1995 issue of Aquarium Fish Magazine.

Keith