[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: malayan live-bearing snails

> From: jopsomer at iastate_edu (Jean Opsomer)
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 09:20:54 -0500
> Subject: Malaysian trumpet snails
>
> >P.S.  I think they reproduce asexually so it shouldn't take many to seed a
> >tank as long as you don't have a clown loach with a voracious appetite.
>
> Actually, they are live-bearing snails, which is why you never find any
> eggs.  I don't think there is such a thing as an asexually reproducing
> snail, but many are hermaphroditic.

I've read a little this snail, and this is the little I know:
The snails (can't remember the scientific name) are livebearing and so no
eggs are found in the tank.
The eggs are able to develop without being fertilised (can't remember the
biological term). This is the major mode of reproduction because the
occurance of males is extremely low, from what I've read, this particular
snail was not mentioned as hermaphroditic.

kevinlim
aki00021 at leonis_nus.sg