[Prev][Next][Index]

Daphnia & Green Water

From: krombhol at felix_TECLink.Net (Paul Krombholz)
>I have always been able to get green water with a 15 gallon tank full of
>guppies and two or three 24" fluorescent lights.  It never fails as long as
>the tank isn't absolutely packed with plants.  You can't expect to produce
>green water in the tank with the Daphnia.  Make it in a tank with fish, and
>then move it to the Daphnia tank.

>When you say you would love to get some green water, it sounds to me like
>someone saying he would love to find some mosquitoes or blackflies in
>Canada in June.  How do you *not* get green water?

Thanks Paul.  I will try the tank with fish but without daphnia.

I  wonder if some municipal water supplies carry the algae while others are
free of it. I know it is also air borne but there is probably not much
floating around at Winnipeg's winter temperatures (keeps the mosquito
population down though).

Come to think of it, I have never had green water (every other algae though).

From: "Anne Nicholls"  <ANNE at southend_wayne.edu>
>I saw that you were tralking about keeping daphnia. I'm having
>horrible luck at keeping the little guys and I was wondering if you
>(and anyone else out there) could help me out by telling me (in
>detail if you could) how you start and maintian a daphnia tank.

Hi Anne,

Daphnia seem to be very hardy.  I started keeping them this fall when I
started raising emperor tetras.

Green water would increase my production but they seem to survive in a jar
with water from a tank.  I forgot about them once for several weeks and they
survived in the few drops of water that did not evaporate.   A garbage pail
with a light in the lid seems to be working well.

Tell me more about what your doing to keep them and what is going wrong.

Bill Hamlin, P.Eng.

Power Resource Evaluation Engineer
Manitoba Hydro
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada