[Prev][Next][Index]

Persistent Algea

HI all!

I have had a clean tank for over a year now, but all of a sudden I
started getting some "nice" looking algea growing on the bog wood.  I
say it looks nice because it was really *thick* and looked like peach
fuzz(1/8" long).  At first it stayed on the bog wood, but then migrated
to the plants.  Usually the oto's can take care of any algea in the
tank, but this was too much of a task for them.  When I removed one of
the amazon swords and tried to remove the algea, I could not even
physically remove it, pulling on the algea would rip the plant it was
attatch so strongly.

Does anyone know what this is?  Or how to get rid of it?  My tank is
heavily planted to the point I cannot clean the gravel.  Since this
bloom, I have removed all the plants, added a soil substrate, and
replanted the plants after pruning the heavily covered plants.  I have
4 48" tubes for lighting that are turned on for 11 hours/day.  I change
50% of the water every other week.  In this 55 gal tank, there are
about 18 fish which include about ~8 oto's.  I have also started adding
CO2 since then.