[Prev][Next][Index]

rift lakes plants too

Ted:
( I don't know what happened to the species list but I noticed it was
cut from the postl I sent the other day. I retrieved it from the sent
mail log and am resending it.)
I managed to access my office computer files and get some more
data. This is world literature data, records of pH levels in lakes
where plants were found growing. How happy they were is another
question. I chose an arbitrary cut-off of pH 9.5 and tried to ignore
plants which would not make good aquarium specimens but I still
came up with a good list of plants recorded as growing at this high
pH or better.
Chara globularis (and several other Chara spp.)
Hydrodictyon africanum
Salvinia auriculata
Alisma plantago-aquatica
Eichhornia crassipes
Scirpus subterminalis
Euryhale ferox
Ludwigia alternifolia
Megalodonta beckii
Myosotis scorpiodes and M. laxa
Eleocharis acicularis
Myriophyllum spicatum, M. ussuriense, M. verticillatum
Elodea canadensis
Ranunculus (several species)
Trapa natans, T. japonica
Fuirena pumila
Heteranthera dubia
Hydrilla verticillata
Lemna minor, L. trisulca, L. paucicostata
Najas flexilis, N. guadalupensis
Pistia stratiotes
Potamogeton pectinatus (and several other P. spp.)
Sagittaria latifolia
Spirodela oligorhiza
Vallisneria spiralis
Ceratophyllum demersum
Zannichellia palustris
There are of course several races of some of these wide ranging species
and some adaptation may be required or you may have to find a
population from a hard water lake.
Pat.