[Prev][Next][Index]

Lead Weights and Plastic Divers

Subject: Re: Lead plant anchors

As the mother of two young sons, I am aware of the clear danger
from environmental lead.  While I have read that lead plant
weights are not a major risk in an aquarium, we seem to be missing
the basic problem here.  Bunch plants (or others with the
exception of epiphytes) should not be lead weighted, tied, rubber
banded, paper clipped or otherwise have their stems restricted in
the aquarium.  _ALL_ of these methods can damage the stem and
cause the plant to rot.

Use a gravel that is fine enough to hold the plants you intend to
use.  Strip enough leaves from the bottom of each stem to allow
several internodes to be placed in the substrate.  Plant no more
than 3 stems at a time... preferably one at a time.  If the the
plants are very buoyant, and refuse to stay down there are two
options.  Allow them to float on the surface until the develop
some roots, at which point it will be much easier to keep them
anchored, or place a small stone(s) on the substrate at the base
of the plant to keep the substrate from shifting and allowing the
plant to lift out.  The stones should be removed in a week or two
when the plant has developed sufficient roots to stay in place by
itself.

I have never found a plant that can't be managed in one of these
ways if the substrate is appropriate and disruptive fish are
avoided.  If large fish are the problem, reomve them along with
the weights!<g>

Subject: Re:Diver?

While not keen on underwater plastic diver guys myself, I've never
heard of one hurting a plant.  Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder.  Let's live and let live! ;-)

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA