[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: lead in tank? reply

Lead poisoning is _not_ an urban myth. I refer you to an article which
appeared in the San Jose Mercury News Sunday, December 17. In this Perspective
article by Donald Kennedy, he points out how the lead industry (and other big
pollution-generating industries) has spent millions of dollars trying to
discredit scientists who have shown dangers of lead poisoning (and other
environmental degradation) to many forms of life.

Lead is well-known to be a cumulative toxin with many effects on neurological
development and function. Exposure commonly occurs through ingestion _or
inhalation_. The "control freaks using misinformation" applies to the industry
PR people, not to the scientists who have demonstrated dangers in modern life.
No intelligent person can discount the effects of serious exposures to toxic
chemicals, including asbestos, lead, and cigarette smoke. I for one would like
to know if something I'm exposed to can harm me! I work with many toxic
chemicals, but knowing the dangers allows me to take precautions against
harmful exposure.

It took many many years for people to recognize that mercury exposure in
milliners was leading to neurological damage ("mad hatters"), but today the
effects of mercury exposure are well-known and accepted, and we as a society
consider it important to avoid such exposure. There are many other examples of
people becoming ill and dying due to exposure to toxic substances, and in many
cases instituting exposure control measures has led to dramatic improvements
in health of those exposed.

Yes, there are varying levels of toxicity for different elements. The most
serious problems with lead poisoning are, as you say, through ingestion by
young children whose neurological systems are developing. But doctors leave
bullets in people when they would be more harmed by the surgery than by
leaving the bullet in place. This is a _choice_ which takes many factors into
consideration and does not indicate that there is no problem whatsoever with
leaving this source of lead in the body. Whenever possible, bullets _are_
removed from gunshot victims.

Now having said all that, I'll point out that pure lead metal is quite
resistant to corrosion by water. But lead plumbing is no longer used because
lead does leach into the water. Since you control pH and salts in the aquarium,
 there may be little problem with lead plant anchors. Fish will, however, be
exposed to (through ingestion, i.e. gastric juices) some level of lead;
whether this is a toxic level will vary with characteristics of the water and
the species of fish. If you don't like the metal loops on your plants, replace
them with paper clips, twist-ties, or some other anchors. And please, wipe off
the neck of your wine bottles and wash your hands after removing the lead
collars!