[Prev][Next][Index]

RE: Subject: Plants in A Discus Tank

Hi Ron Rodriguez <rrdgez at houwork_com>,

I have a discus tank and keep mainly amazon swords, java moss, and java
fern in the tank.  I like to keep the discus tank dimmer so don't have
all the lights.  The discus really like swimming/hiding/sleeping in the
swords to the point that sometimes they are hard to find.  I wouldn't
recommend the moss and ferns in your talk though since they like the
dimmer tanks.  I do have some swords in my other tank that has all the
bright lights and they do good there also.  One good thing about the
swords are that they are a broader leaf plant so the algae eaters keep
them real clean compared to the finer leaf plants.

I would question you light pattern
though(Ex.6:30am-8:00am;10am-noon;3pm-5:30pm;7pm-11pm for a total of 10
hrs).  I would think this would really confuse the plants in there
CO2/O2 cycling...maybe someone who knows the chemistry will pipe up.
IMHO, you should think about keeping the lights on for a full 12 hours,
and then have some small algae eaters, and ALOT of plants.  My lighted
tank hasn't had an algae problem for over a year now.