[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #41

re reflective material - I would opt for the tin foil over vynl due to
potential heat problems with vynl.  Al foil reflects great but needs some
other structure.

re placing a tank in the window - great except for two problems.  Plants
tend to grow toward the light source which means you will be looking at
the less attractive undersides of leaves.  Second more obvious problem is
the heat buildup can be enormous.  If the tank is very large and the
direct sun rays can be deflected if heat is a problem, then go for it.  I
would not risk the heat buildup in anything less than a 55 gallon and
would be more comfortable with a 100+ size.  The larger tank will take
longer to heat up.  If heat were a short term problem you could put a
sheet of cardboard between the tank and the window with some al foil
stuck to the sun side.

--Earle Hamilton from northern Michigan where coral once grew