[Prev][Next][Index]

Number of algae eaters

> From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:50:05 -0700
>
> Could someone give some advice on how many algae eaters is too many? I have
> a 48 gallon planted tank. The plants are just getting going. I have some
> red brush algae starting up and I would like to get an SAE to help with
> this. Just how much algae does an SAE need? Would it be a good idea to get
> two? I have 4 otos already that seem to eat all the time. I don't want to
> end up with starving fish.

I would recommend two SAE.  They seem very sociable and tend to school
together.  Or perhaps get five really small ones and grow them out.
When they get bigger, you can sell them to friends and make a profit.
A small school of SAE is quite interesting to watch and the shipping
charge is the same no matter how many you get (within reason).

> I'm also interested in Malasian Trumpet Snails. I understand that these are
> good for the substrate and also eat waste in the gravel. But they seem a
> rare commodity around Vancouver. Can one mail order snails as well -- or
> does anyone know of a source in the Vancouver/Seattle area?

I have been known to ship them to people.

George