[Prev][Next][Index]

Amazon Swords and Foreground Plants

Subject: Amazon Sword

Justin,

>      I remember a question being asked about how to take proppe
> clippings of Amazon Swords. For the life of me I couldn't seem t
> the response.

As far as I know, there is no good way to reduce the size of a
healthy Sword plant.  Your best bet is to replace it with a
smaller species.  I wish there _were_ a good way to do it, as I've
had to find new homes for several awesome plants that have just
outgrown my tank.

------------------------------

Subject: Low Foreground Plant  on TAG Cover

Scott,

> I was browsing the AGA home pages and saw the Tank at Mizukwa Cl
> the cover of TAG volume 8, 1995.  Can someone please tell me wha
> grass-like plant is in the foreground of the tank ?  Does it sta
> or does it need to be trimmed (mowed?) ?

It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but I think it's
Echinodorus tenellus, "Pigmy Chain Sword".  If so, in good
conditions it will spread readily, and make a very pretty green
"lawn".  And, no, it does not need "mowing"<g>

This same effect can be achieved with Lillaeopsis, (my personal
favorite) E. quadricostatus, (a little taller) Dwarf Sagitaria, or
any of a number of low growing Cryptocoryne species (can take a
long time to spread, but tolerate low light better).  Another
plant often used by Ammano is Glossostigma, which is not
commercially available in the U.S. at this time.

> Also sometime ago I sent in my subscription for AGA but as of ye
> not received my first issue - how long before I can expect it ?

I'm not sure how long ago you sent in your dues, but the magazine
comes out 6 times a year.  It is possible that you joined just
after the last mailing.  If so, I believe the Sept.-Oct. issue is
currently in production, so hopefully you'll receive it along with
every one else. If it seems like it's been longer than that since
you paid your dues, E-mail me or Neil Frank (editor), and We'll
check into it for you.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA