[Prev][Next][Index]

Aponogeton pruning time

  Hi everybody!

 It has been a while since the last time I cleaned up the tank, but I
finally did it today, the three Aponogeton sp. in the aquarium were way
too large & practically divided the tank (130G long) in two sections, and
many leaves were getting brown-yellow. Though there is a slimy thin brown
algae on some parts of the tank, the leaves didn't seem affected by it,
and I don't know if they are getting dormant (temperature is around 75F,
& has been constant since june) or just need fertilization. -The last time I
vaccumed/fertilized the tank was 2 months ago or so- =). I added a
bottle SERA florena, and changed about 25% of water. There is no CO2 injection
at the moment (and hasn't been for 3 months).

 I'm not pretty sure, but they seem to be A. undulatus (the most common
Aponogeton around here, I think) -they look a lot like the one in the
photo on p.67 in the Barry James book, though they heve been greener-.

 I only left the young bright green leaves and the sprouts (yes they
breeded!!), and begin to miss their former splendor. How would my
frenetic pruning affect the bulbs-plants in their cycle if the temp. is
kept constant?? Will this help them decay or grow??

                                   Jose A. Guzman
 | ITESO University.   |
 | Guadalajara. Mexico |