[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Allelochemicals, Echinodorus

From: Charley Bay <charleyb at hpgrla_gr.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 8:56:57 MDT
Subject: Re: allelochemical v. nutrient competition

Charley,

First of all, thank you for a very interesting post!

I think we are not all imagining the same thing when we use the
terms "light", moderate" and "heavy" planting.  Certainly, a tank
can get so crowded that the growth rate drops off.  I would not
term that "densely planted", I'd term it "over crowded".<g>  Both
George and I have what I would consider "densely planted" tanks,
and I know from what I've seen of his tanks and what I've read
from him that both of us aim for optimum growth.

I may stress the term "densely planted" because I am so often
faced with helping a planted tank beginner who is having problems
balancing a 55G tank with two anaemic Swords, a bunch of failing
Cabomba and two bunches of "Princess Pine".  To too many people,
that's what a planted tank is.  At the same time I tend to stress
light fish stocking, again, because beginners tend to overdo it in
that area.

So maybe in your terms, my tanks are "moderately" planted, since I
do whack away at them with a machete fairly frequently.

------------------------------

> From: Kenneth J McNeil <mcnei002 at maroon_tc.umn.edu>
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 09:57:09 -0500 (CDT)
> Subject: Re: Flowering of Echinodorus species

Ken,

> Flowering in Echinodorus is extremely variable. Some like emerse
> conditions, while others flower only in a submersed state. Dayle
> also supposed to be a factor in flower induction. Since there wa
> other interest on this subject, I'll email you the specifics for
> species I have info on.

I think you may be misinterpreting lack of meaningful input as
lack of interest.<g>

While I have had a number of Echinodorus species flower (and
produce plantlets, and once set seed) in my tanks, I always
considered it serendipity.  I have never known exactly why it
happened, nor have I ever tried to get them to flower on demand.

I think it would be great if you would share what you have to
offer with the whole group!