[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #13

>From: Hextek at aol_com
>Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 18:29:18 -0400
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #10
>
>(first part deleted)
..., but they are an integrated part of the aquarium closed system.
> I'd rather find a natural preditor for the snails than nuke 'em with
>chemicals!

Are you SURE that the snails are doing the damage?  Are you sure that it
isn't potassium deficiency, which causes little holes to appear in older
leaves?  I have ramshorns and pond snails and find that they are essential
to keep soft attached algae under control. If you are sure the snails are
the culprits, then you can try putting in a piece or two of dried cat food,
and when the snails cluster around it, you can remove the majority of them.
The rest should find enough food so that they won't bother your plants.
Also, you can feed them regularly, and they should also leave the plants
alone.  An alternative to the dried cat food is small pieces of carrot that
have been dried, soaked in water for a day to remove the sugar, and then
redried.

Paul Krombholz