[Prev][Next][Index]

DIY heating cables

STEVEN R AMOR wrote:
>Thanks for your reply, but I`m not sure what type of cables that you are
>referring to?

Steven,

Nichrome is the wire material "nickel-chromium".  All that I`ve seen is
bare wire so I`m using the air tubing for electrical insulation.  I should
point out that getting wire through a long length of airline tubing is
a challenge but then didn`t you say you were an engineering student?<g>

I have a shorter cable I made for testing purposes.  It has a 7 foot long
heating element of 18 guage nichrome with about 3 ohms resistance.
This is probably too short for your application but if you want it to
experiment with E-mail me and I`ll try to get it to you.

Stephen Morrison
morrison at fnalv_fnal.gov