[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #276

Regarding unsightly wires with the Ice Cap ballasts - - I would caution
against braiding the lines together.  If I understand correctly the solid
state ballast first converts 60 cycle to 30,000 cycles per second.  This
gives a very steady light that is with no flicker.  At  any rate, perhaps
a more recent engineering grad out there can comment on the effect of
high frequency current on impedence (resistance).  Since impedence acts
like resistance and is a function of frequency - you may be asking for
trouble by braiding the wires together.  This is my semi-educated guess
and I will yield to somebody with better credentials.  BTW, you could
call customer service at ICe Cap and ask them.  If there is a problem
with braiding the wires then they should caution folks about the problem.

Any takers out there who would like to follow up on this and give us an
informed answer instead of an opionion?