[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Cotton in yeast reactor

>From: Stephen.Pushak at hcsd_hac.com
>
>> From: KB Koh <KB_Koh at ccm_ipn.intel.com>
>> Anyone know how to prevent the white cotton-looking substance from
>> appearing at the CO2 reactor? Thanks in advance.
>
>If you mean frothy bubbles on the top of the water, these are quite
>normal. If you mean the yellowish sediment on the bottom, these are
>yeast sediment and normal as well. You could siphon it out if you

>reaction time. If you are referring to a dense white mass which
>floats on top of the water, this is probably colonization by another

OK, let me rephrase my question. I have notice some white cotton-looking
substance forming at the CO2 reactor in the fish tank. The CO2 generator is
using Yeast system. I remember reading a post about it on r.a awhile back but no
solution was mentioned. I don't think I am the only one having this problem? The
substance will accumulate if trap in a bell reactor but will be forced into tank
water if using strong water flow such as from power head or cannister filter
connecting to the reactor.

>From: Grant.Gussie at phys_utas.edu.au (Grant Gussie)
>Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 12:00:46 +1000
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #274

>I have never seen a cootony growth around a CO2 bottle reactor, so i'll
>assume you are talking abouut a yeast system. The cottony growth is a
>fungus living off of the nutrients being pumped into the tank with the
>little water that gets forced up the hiose when the CO2 is shaken. You can
>prevent it only be keeping ALL of the water in the yeast bottle...which
>means you have to lower the water level in th ebottle or have a water trap
>built in the line. A water trap can be made with an erlymyer flask, a two
>hole stopper, and two pieces of glass tubing. Attach the outlet hose from
>the yeast reactor to one hole oi the flask's stopper, and attach the hose
>to the fish tank to the other hole.

The water in yeast bottle is 3" below the cap, so no water should get through. I
don't remember seeing any water get into the tube. Could the nutrient carrying
moisture mixed with CO2 travel together to the reactor? I think this is
possible. Anyone know a DIY way to dry the CO2 from yeast bottle?

rgds..kbkoh