[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Severum and plants

Layne sent a message concerning his golden Severum eating the plants
in his tank.

A week ago I bought a pair of Severums and am now faced with the same
problem.  I am one of the people who believe that my tank is
predominantly there for the benefit of keeping my fish happy and am
not _that_ concerned about them eating the plants.  I have, however,
heard of a few tips that I am going to try because my plants are
starting to look quite sad.  Hopefully they will work for you.

If you satisfy the fishes need for vegetable matter in it's diet, I
think it will largely leave the plants alone.  Most fish with a taste
for greens are said to really enjoy a piece of lettuce or some slices
of zucchini (baby marrows ?) as part of their diet.  I was told that
it was best to put the lettuce/zucchini in boiling water for a minute
before letting it cool and feeding it to the fish.  Any excess
zucchini can also be put in meal-sized plastic bags and frozen.

I plan on trying this out this weekend.  I will let you know if it
works or not.

Brendan
Brendan at dwaf-hri_pwv.gov.za