[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Milky water & High light w/o CO2

> From: Don Funk <donfu at microsoft_com>
> I recently had a problem with algae, so I tore down the tank and
> cleaned everything [snip]
> The algae came back in full force in about a week.
> 5 oto's and 2 SAE's [got] tank spotless of algae [snip]
> but now the water has turned a 'milky see through' white color.

It could be infusoria which could be feeding on a green algae
explosion (did you have green water at one point?) If you take some
of this water and examine it closely in strong light, you should see
tiny critters zigging around. Fry love it. (if the other fish don't
love fry snacks too much) Increase plants. Maintain light and
filtration lest they die off en masse.

Shaji wrote:
> >From: krandall at world_std.com (Karen A Randall)
> >Re: New light setup
> >
> >I don't think it's possible to put "too much" flourescent light over a tank.
> > Just remember that you have to supplement CO2 and trace elements in high
> >light conditions to keep the tank in balance.  If you don't want to do that,
> >you need to stick with less light, and low-light tolerant plants.
>
> Karen, are you saying that you *need* CO2 and and trace elements to
> keep a tank in balance if you have high light?  To, me, it seems you
> are implying that without CO2 and trace elements, you cannot cultivate
> high-light plants.  My experience is that it is possible to use high
> light in a low-tech tank, but you do need to keep the fish load down
> and ensure that the nutrient levels in the tank don't get high enough
> to cause an algae problem.

Yes but on the other hand, if you have enough plants to avoid algae and
there is high light and a lack of CO2, many types of plants would resort
to biogenic decalcification to rob CO2 for photosynthesis from carbonates.
The result would be very high pH which disturbs the plants ability to
compete with algae. Plants which tolerate brackish, high pH conditions
are also those which metabolize carbonates. The high light plants such
as Cabomba don't tolerate low CO2 according to some references. I don't
know if Ludwigia repens would but I found this plant a slow grower and
plagued by algae. I think this plant demands high light. Myriophyllum
aquaticum does very well in high light with CO2 and very poorly in low
or medium light except near the surface. Algae would be a serious problem
on this plant too. I think you'd have to choose the plants carefully;
which ones have you had success with? I'd say for the average aquarist
wishing to try a variety of plants, (s)he'd have more success with CO2.
I too will be interested in Karen's thoughts on this. Hope you don't mind
me adding my 2 cents :%)

 - Steve