[Prev][Next][Index]

New tank algae; CO2 books

> From: George Booth <booth at hpmtlgb1_lvld.hp.com>
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 14:01:45 -0600
> Subject: Re: Algae problems with a new tank
>
> John wrote that algae problems are discouraging him from continuing
> with a plant tank.

I think I must've had a bad day when I wrote that :-). No, I have no
intention to change my plant tank to a rocky Lake Malawi biotope. This
aquatic plant stuff is way too interesting (and addictive!).

> Based on my experiences, a new tank will cycle through various types
> of algae as the various parameters seek their equilibirium values.
> A new tank is biologically unstable and seems to drift through
> different conditions favorable to different types of algae. Thus, it
> important to have different types of algae *eaters* in the tank from
> the first. As long as the algae is controllable by whatever means,
> just be patient - it will get better.

I hope what you said above is true, and that most of my algae problems
are temperary. I got discouraged when I read different plant books that
basically say once you have brush/beard algae, the tank is doomed and
there is no way you can ever beat this thing. I must say since I
installed the much more consistent DIY CO2 tank+flow meter device, some
of the beard algae have since turned a lighter colour and appear to be
less dense than before. My pH has dropped from 7.6 to 7.0 in 48 hours,
not bad considering my tab water is 7.8-8.0 with an alkalinity of over 10 DH.
The next thing to do is to get 8-10 real SAEs as soon as my wallet
recovers a bit. Considering the profit margin on these fish and the
number of people looking for them, I will be rich if I find a source for
these fish :-).

> From: mleather at tbdmil_com
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 95 20:38:12 -0600
> Subject: CO2 books
>

>         Could someone list some good books that discuss CO2 systems?
>
> dennis

Don't know about too many books specifically on CO2 systems, other the
The Optimum Aquarium (Horst and Kipper, Dupla Press, 1987) which is kinda
biased towards Dupla's expensive CO2 systems. There is, however, tons of
really useful info on commercial and DIY CO2 systems on the Krib site
(http://www.cco.caltech.edu:80/~aquaria/Krib) maintained by Erik Olson.
Check it out.

 John Y. Ching (jyching at watnow_uwaterloo.ca)    |
 Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence Lab	|
 Department of Systems Design Engineering      	|
 University of Waterloo, Canada            	|