[Prev][Next][Index]

Additional lighting caused algae bloom?

I just remembered that the algae proliferation I described earlier
also coincided with my adding of two additional fluorescent lights
(2x40w), making it a total of 6x40w (2 tritons, 2 ultralume daylight,
2 cool whites). It is possible that my plants failed to compete
successfully against the algae for the additional lighting. Hopefully
the new CO2 tank plus needle valve control would provide more
consistent CO2 fertilization and allow the plants to out compete the
algae. I also implemented an 2 hour dark period at midday each day, and
a complete dark day on Wed of each week, following some suggestions in
the archives.

Thanks for listening.

 John Y. Ching (jyching at watnow_uwaterloo.ca)    |
 Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence Lab	|
 Department of Systems Design Engineering      	|
 University of Waterloo, Canada            	|