[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Regulating yeast CO2 output

> From: DAWB.DSKPO33B at DSKBGW1_ITG.ti.com (David Webb)
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 11:31 CST
> Subject: re: Yeast CO2 questions
>
> >I've just rigged up the CO2 yeast method following recipe posted by
> >David Webb. I've connected it to an air-stone while building a reactor.
> >Immediately noticeable effect are bubble streams coming out of cutted
> >sections of stem plants and reduction in my pH. That must be a good
> >sign. Now my questions:
> >
> >1) Do I leave the CO2 bubbles coming out at full blast or reduce it with
> >the air valve?
>
> I've never tried this, so I don't know for certain what effect you'll have.  I
> suspect that the increased pressure will acidify the water more and affect the
> CO2 production rate of the yeast.
I would expect quite spectacular (disastrous) results from attempting to
control CO2 output in this manner. You could use two valves and a splitter
to bleed excess CO2 into a jar filled with water (so that you can compare the
bubble rates) although I don't recommend this. You can safely regulate CO2
production by the amount of sugar and yeast, the size of the reaction container
and to a lesser degree, by the temperature of the container. Just experiment
until you get a feeling for what's right. I gang two jugs together and alternate
changes. Expect a jug to last 3 weeks. I use 3 cups of sugar in 1.5 liters of
water (2 liter jug) and 1 tsp of yeast & 1 tsp of baking soda. I've added
baking soda again after a couple weeks and this liberates more CO2.

As far as Joanne's problem tank, I also doubt that CO2 injection was the cause
of the problem.  I suspect either a bad combination of chemical buffers or a
bacterial outbreak caused by a sick fish.  It's my understanding that a
bacterial outbreak can cause cloudiness and the lack of oxygen evidenced by fish
gasping at the surface (although I have never observed this thankfully :-).
Yeast & sugar leaking into a tank would not have this effect although you might
notice a small amount of cloudiness depending upon the volume of the leak.

Joanne, why not mix some of the chemicals you used at the time of this incident
in a large jar of water (possibly from your aquarium) and see if you get this
same cloudiness? If not, I think the bacterial outbreak is the most likely
cause.

 - Steve