[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: CO2 Bottle Problem

> From: "David Huie" <David.Huie at Bentley_COM>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 12:53:14 EST
> Subject: Yeast Explosion

>      I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can give me suggestions on.
>
>      I've had all the fish in my tank killed by acidosis...twice now.  Both
>      times were as a result of massive pH changes due to my inaccurate CO2
>      injection method.
>
>      The first time, the tank just ran out and the pH went from 6.2 to 7.8
>      in about two hours.
>
>      The second time, last week the whole CO2 tank vented into the aquarium
>      at once--a one inch shell of ice on the CO2 canister was a bit
>      bizarre.
>
>      I have my CO2 canister, through a regulator, pumped into the input on
>      my pump.

NOTE, no needle valve!  Sounds like you are injecting too much CO2 to
begin with.  A regulator alone cannot get the flow down to the required
order of ~ 1 bubble per second.  The needle valve will reduce the flow
after the regulator stage.  THEN you can inject it in the tank any way you
want.  Look for descriptions of both reactors and needle valves on the
Krib & in the FAQ.

    - Erik

---
Erik D. Olson					At home.