[Prev][Next][Index]

Dupla fertilizer ingredients

> From: stevensj at calshp_cals.wisc.edu
>
> Also, I was wondering why the TMG product contains no sodium whereas the
> Dupla products do.

The analysis makes no assumptions about the purpose of the metals
found in the products.  Some may be contaminants or residues of
the manufacturing process.

>  I was under the impression that Duplagan might be similar to
> peat-water (tap water soaked with peat for a few days) but I now think
> I'm wrong since the peat would remove calcium & magnesium & possibly
> other beneficial 2+ ions (e.g. Fe, Cu, Mn, Zn).

The peat tannins will chelate the Ca, Mg, etc and remove them from
solution but the analysis would still see them.  I still think
Duplagan is mostly peat-water.

Here's a repeat of the info for folks who may have missed the last 8
or 9 postings of it:

The following tables show the components of the Dupla water conditioners
and fertilizers.  All quantities are in parts per million (ppm or mg/l) of
the raw product and do NOT represent the actual dosage when diluted
according to the directions.  This data only shows the relative proportion
of elements in each product and does not represent the proportions between
products.

Duplagan water conditioner
--------------------------

Used at each water change to add organic acids beneficial to slime coat
production and to add some trace elements that have long term stability.
Note that the inorganic acids are "natural" versus artificial polymers used
in Novaqua type products (according to the local fish store).

Ca  31.0 ppm    Mg 509.0 ppm    Na  54.0 ppm    K   10.0 ppm    P    1.0 ppm
Al   0.5 ppm    Fe   0.3 ppm    Mn  <0.1 ppm    Ti   0.1 ppm    Cu  <0.1 ppm
Zn   0.3 ppm    Ni   0.1 ppm    Mo  <0.1 ppm    Cd  <0.1 ppm    Si   2.0 ppm
Cr  <0.1 ppm    Sr   0.3 ppm    B   <0.1 ppm    Pb   0.3 ppm    V   <0.1 ppm

Duplaplant fertilizer tablets
-----------------------------

Used at each water change to add trace elements that have long term
stability.  Note: for the analysis, a tablet was dissolved in distilled
water.

Ca   5.5 ppm    Mg   0.3 ppm    Na 116.0 ppm   K  2490.0 ppm    P    0.3 ppm
Al   0.4 ppm    Fe 234.0 ppm    Mn  36.8 ppm    Ti   0.6 ppm    Cu   0.2 ppm
Zn   0.6 ppm    Ni   3.7 ppm    Mo   0.7 ppm    Cd  <0.1 ppm    Si   5.7 ppm
Cr   0.1 ppm    Sr  <0.1 ppm    B    6.7 ppm    Pb   0.1 ppm    V   <0.1 ppm

Duplaplant 24 daily drops fertilizer
------------------------------------

Used daily to add trace elements that are either are unstable or are toxic
in large doses.

Ca   1.5 ppm    Mg  <0.1 ppm    Na 484.0 ppm    K   <0.1 ppm    P    0.7 ppm
Al   0.5 ppm   Fe 1180.0 ppm    Mn   1.3 ppm    Ti  <0.1 ppm    Cu   0.1 ppm
Zn   0.1 ppm    Ni   0.2 ppm    Mo  <0.1 ppm    Cd  <0.1 ppm    Si   0.8 ppm
Cr   0.2 ppm    Sr  <0.1 ppm    B    2.0 ppm    Pb   0.5 ppm    V    0.2 ppm

The metal assay was done by the Soil Testing Laboratory at Colorado
State University using an "Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission
Spectrometry" technique.  It basically takes a sample and adds enough
heat to get any metals to an their atomic composition and runs a spectrum
on them (this description may be a little hazy - my wife is the chemist
in the family; I'm just an EE).  The instrument is very reliable and is
accurate to the pico-molar range (I rounded the numbers to the nearest
0.1 ppm).  It only does metals, so we had no data on Nitrogen.  As far
as we know, there are no nitrates or phosphates in the Dupla products.
This is via LaMott (nitrate) and Dupla (phosphate) test kits at home.

George