>    *  To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
>    *  Subject: Echinodorus recomendation for 30XH
>    *  From: mark.stephens at gsfc_nasa.gov (mark stephens)
>    *  Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 09:04:35 -0400

> I've grown one of the larger Echinodorus species ("Amazon sword") in gravel
> in this tank.  This was not a plant tank.  Lighting was two 20W Triton
> bulbs.  Very beautiful for about a year and then is melted on me.  I'd like
> to try this again, but get rid of the gravel and grow the plant in a pot.
> I know this is not exactly the height of plant tankdome, but I view this
> more like a potted house plant... and I confess to actually liking the way
> a clay pot looks in this setting.

I've never heard of Echinodorus 'melting' rapidly, before.  Did it really melt
rapidly, the way Crypts sometimes do, that is, did the process happen in about two
or three days, with the leaves turning to mush while still green?  If that isn't
the case, and if the older leaves became full of holes and raggedy, then it would
very likely be a case of potassium deficiency.

Paul Krombholz