[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #139

On june 18 Lars Fenneberg said:

>	These snails are great. I accidently introduced them with some
>	plants 5 years ago. It seems that there are a lot of them in my
>	tank but the great majority stays invisible in the gravel. I find
>	it amazing that they can get _into_ the gravel.
>	Maybe these snails are the reason why my tanks gravel lasted 5 years
>	(i completely cleaned it in January) without (R)UGF, heating
>	cables and gravel vacuuming (that was impossbile because the plants
>	grew all over), what so ever...
>	As I removed the gravel in January to clean it there were no black
>	spots, no H2S.

Hi Folks,  I have been lurking, reading with much interest, the threads on
substrate, snails and the rest.  I have been keeping plants for about five years.  I keep moving my fish room so I cannot report on real old setups but I have had some with good growth for over two and a half years.  I tend to use about 2 inches of coarse sand, with a little laterite in the bottom half inch and plenty of digging snails.  Works great here.

Next tank I setup will probably have a very slow flow feed system as has been described in older digests.  Think I will probably try feeding in pulses (add micro trace elements, maybe some hydroponics nutrients) every
two or three days.  Thoughts?

BTW some of you might be interested in my filtration system - plants!

Ed Tomlinson (tomlins at cam_org)
Montreal, Canada