[Prev][Next][Index]

Plant Digest

 >> Subject: Plant import rules

 Michael,

 >> That's true. However, due to our colder climate, the danger of tropical
aquarium plants spreading in our native waters is quite slim. In southern US,
this could very well be the case. I don't know whether that is the main
reasoning behind different laws, but could be a factor. <<

 It hasn't only happened in the south... I live in New England, where we have
very cold snowy winters with totally ice-bound lakes and streams for several
months.  Never the less, I have been told by people in the State Wildlife
Department that most of our endangered aquatic plants (and there are quite a
few) are to a large extent in that position due to the introduction of
non-native aquarium plants, most specifically, a non-native Myriophyllum (I
forget the species), and Cabomba caroliniana.

 Another non-native that has caused major problems in our wetland areas
(although this one can't be blamed on aquarists<g>) is Lythrum, or
Loosestrife.  This beautiful but terribly invasive bog plant has literally
filled our wetland areas and pushed out many less tenacious native plants.

  E-mail from: Karen Randall, 20-Jun-1995